Happy holiday season! Fall and winter are about to bring you all the best holiday gatherings of the year. You’ll be washing your hands a hundred times while making those big holiday meals, and then washing what seems like a hundred holiday dirty dishes. Your guests will be washing their hands, too, and also taking showers.
Holidays cause major increases in hot water usage, and they’re also a time when you don’t want to have to call a plumber. Is your water heater ready?
Water Heater Maintenance
The first sign that you need water heater maintenance is that you don’t remember the last time you had water heater maintenance done—if indeed you ever have. It’s also a good idea if you know it’s been at least a year since the last time maintenance was done.
During maintenance, all parts of your water heater will be inspected and tested. This will ensure your safety as well as optimizing water heater performance. And if your water heater has accumulated some sediment in the tank, or if hard water has caused mineral buildup, the system can be flushed to wash all that away, eliminating the risk of serious problems before they have a chance to develop.
Water Heater Repair
If you have any concerns about how well your water heater is working, it’s best to schedule repairs right away. You can fit an appointment into your calendar and then be confident you’ll have plenty of hot water for the holidays. Delaying water heater repair could mean being severely inconvenienced and calling an emergency plumber during a holiday weekend.
How can you tell if you need water heater repair? Watch out for these signs.
- Odd Noises: Rumbling is the most common, but any unexpected sounds from your water heater are cause for concern.
- Odd Odors: Your water should not smell like anything, but bacterial growth can cause odors.
- Discoloration: A red, brown, or yellow tint to the water can indicate that your water heater’s anode rod needs to be replaced.
- Reduced Water Pressure: If your cold water pressure is strong, but your hot water pressure is not what it used to be, you need water heater services in Plainfield, IL.
- Reduced Water Temperature: If you can’t get the water hot enough, one of the heating elements may have failed. Water heaters have multiple elements, so the water will still be warm, just not hot. This component can be replaced.
- Leaks: This can not only compromise your hot water supply but also anything near the water heater. Water damage is not something you want interrupting your holiday cheer! Your plumber can determine where the leak originates. With luck, a connection just needs to be tightened, or a fitting replaced, though a serious leak from the tank itself may mean it’s time for a new water heater.
Water Heater Replacement
It’s not the answer anyone wants to hear, but sometimes a water heater simply needs to be replaced. And it’s better to know that before you have a houseful of guests! If you do need a new water heater, our team is happy to help you find the ideal replacement and schedule an installation so you can focus on pumpkin pies and football games, and not on guests having cold showers.
Call J&A today, Sleep-tight tonight!