You’ve made it this far through a frigid Lockport winter. That’s something to celebrate! You have to count your little wins.
Although making it this far is great, you need to consider the rest of the winter that we have ahead of us. If you’re starting to see the writing on the wall with your heater, you should be honest with yourself. Your heater can’t always last. Our winters would put any heater to the test. If you notice that yours is already starting to waver underneath the pressure, then it might be time for you to consider a replacement. “Replacement” can become a dreaded word to homeowners because of past experiences. We’re here to set the record straight. Trust us with your HVAC in Lockport, IL.
“Do I Need a New Heater?”
Let’s do the calculating alluded to in the title.
- Uneven Heating: Have you noticed that this winter has been particularly hard getting even heating throughout your home? If your bedroom is freezing cold, but your living room is pretty warm even without the heater, what’s going to result is discomfort. You might run your heater so that you’re warm in your room, but your living room might become so hot that it’s unbearable as a result. It’s a low-level issue, but it is an issue.
- Excessive Dust: Excessive dust is a problem. It means your home’s heater isn’t circulating your air properly. You don’t want to ignore this problem. It can affect other issues down the line.
- Rising Energy Bills: High energy bills without a clear reason as to why they’re high only point to one thing—inefficiency. You’re paying for your heater to struggle.
- Odd Noises: Do you hear odd sounds when you run your home’s heater? During the height of the heating season, you might hear some odd sounds like banging, scraping, squeaking, or even clicking. Truly, any sound that you hear that’s repeated, new, loud, or alarming is something that you should talk to one of our professionals about.
- You’ve Had Your Heater for Over a Decade: If your heater is a decorated veteran in your home, it’s time for you to think about replacing it. Your heater is set to last around 10 to 15 years, but you can’t expect it to last forever. Even if your heater runs like new around this age, you should consider a replacement no matter what. It’s always best to be prepared.
- Frequent Repair Needs: Do you repair your home’s heater all the time? If you have to repair your heater more than once every few years, then you’re in a bad spot with your heater. Frequent repair needs indicate an issue with your heater efficiency that’s best addressed with replacement.
Add up all your points. If you’re in the 0–4 range, then you might be able to get away with repair work. But we suggest that you consider repair if you’re in the 3–4 point range though. If you’re in the 5–10 point range, we recommend you replace your home’s heater. Call us to speak more with a professional about it today.
Contact Johansen & Anderson today to get great heater service. Call J&A today, sleep-tight tonight.